Wednesday 10 July 2013

Animation junkie Me

It all started with a single web link.

One fine evening I was randomly going through my facebook feed when I came across a post from a friend. It was a Youtube link for a short animation film 'Paperman'. The words, 'Walt Disney' and 'Academy Awards' in the description caught my attention.

It so turns out, Paperman is a 2012 short film which won the award for the Best animated short film in the 85th Academy awards.

The animations were awesome, the story was funny, and the background was romantic. All in all, the best-spent 7 minutes of an otherwise gloomy day. This was the first taste of something which would soon become an addiction. Youtube has this very helpful and in my case 'labyrinthine' list of suggested videos. It's a never ending maze of endless permutations and combinations. You go after one. Then something else catches your eye. And then the next..and next..and so on. This is pretty much what I found myself doing after 3 hours of my original 'Paperman' video.

In these 3 hours, I had watched more than fifty short animations. Most of them were projects by animation students from all over the world. Such beautiful concepts, amazing stories and immense hard work. They had me wondering why they have such talent and I have none. I really envy them!!

Anyway..so here I am, weeks later, still hooked on these short animation movies. They've been a loyal companion for me, a 'night owl. I now pass my sleepless hours, happily jumping from one short anime to the other, laughing, learning and sometimes crying.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment